this post may contain affiliate links, see full disclosure.
This is such a simple thing, but I’m so excited by it!
Off and on, we’ve been using vinegar as part of our home cleaning. If you’re not familiar with the idea, vinegar can be used for dozens of household needs.
All while keeping away harmful toxins of commercial cleaners from your home environment!
In our efforts to reverse asthma symptoms in our son (which we did accomplish), I had changed up all of our cleaning products. Vinegar was one of several items I found ways to use.
But, the smell isn’t that great, even if it doesn’t linger long. I’m so glad to try another option that cuts back on the scent.
This recipe makes a concentrate which can then be diluted to use for cleaning countertops, windows, sinks, etc. Just about wherever you’d use a general cleaner. Simple & frugal!
DIY All-Purpose Citrus Vinegar Cleaner
- distilled white vinegar
- citrus peels of 4-5 fruits – lemons, limes, grapefruit, oranges
- lemon or grapefruit essential oil (optional, but great addition!)
1. Using a 1 quart glass jar, place the peels of the citrus fruits into the jar.
2. Pour white vinegar over the peels until jar is full, but not overflowing.
3. Cover tightly and let sit for at least 2 weeks (or up to one month), shaking every few days just to mix it all up.
4. Strain the liquid and store the concentrate in a tightly covered jar for up to 1 year.
TO USE THE CONCENTRATE:
Mix 1 part liquid concentrate with 2 parts plain water. Mix in 2-4 drops of essential oil (or a little more if you’d like). Use for general cleaning; avoid use on special surfaces such as granite (source).
** I made my 1 quart jar of concentrate using 2 oranges and 1 grapefruit peel; I will use more fruit next time! I also added in 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil as well as grapefruit. Tea tree is antibacterial and antifungal.**
Others Ways to Use Vinegar in Cleaning
- make your own furniture polish
- save money on fabric softener
- homemade oven cleaner
- all-purpose lemon lavender cleaner
- homemade glass cleaner
Sometimes, it’s all about the simple things…